You are hereForums / Projects / Project Suggestions / Running list of project ideas

Running list of project ideas

17 replies [Last post]
MRE
MRE's picture

Hi all..

I thought it might be nice to make a running list of various project suggestions.

The inspiration for this is a list that has long since vanished from the webernets (so far as I can tell) called the "The BIG list of PIC project ideas" or simply "The PIC list" after the list group that had originally started it. (would be nice if someone can find it.. Im having trouble tracking it down).

So.. here are some project ideas from me. These are not "MY" projects. The list is supposed to stimulate you and help get the juices flowing. Feel free to attempt any of the projects!

weather station
line following robot
water fountain
Fancy doorbell
garden monitor and control system
Tackle-box garden bot

Small Micro-controller projects:
POV
door bell
smarter motion detector
laser range finder
earthquake monitor
door electronic entry lock
Utilities sharing monitor and calculator
custom joystick or other controller

MRE
MRE's picture

Please add your ideas! Even if they are simple or silly. Simple or complex!

sonicviz (not verified)

The Lights are on and Everybody's at Home http://www.vimeo.com/4706049

Adapt concept to THS as Proof of concept

lights on is an audio visual performance created for the Ars Electronica museum in Linz, Austria, which has a facade that contains 1085 LED controllable windows. The windows' colors are changed in realtime with music that's broadcasted on speakers surrounding the building.

visuals coded in openframeworks by zachary lieberman, joel gethin lewis and damian stewart (yesyesno). music by daito manabe, with support from Taeji Sawai and Kyoko Koyama. we made this in three days :)

EDIT: Moved to animated hacker space

MRE
MRE's picture

Please try to avoid multi-posting the exact same text in more than one forum. ;)

akiba (not verified)

My suggestion -

hydroponics garden: I have a unused hydroponics kit chilling in my apartment

MRE
MRE's picture

yeah. I am liking that bamboo window more and more everyday when I think of that little space as an indoor greenery with that fountain in the corner.
Would need some artificial light though. I like the coke bottle tricks people are using for vertical.

New project:
I want to create a head that attaches to my projector, turning it into an intelligent light for parties, in which we can redirect the light from the stationary projector to walls and floors using a mirror.. sort of like a disco light. Someone could write a simple pattern generator for a laptop that cycles colors, logo, and whatnot.

MRE
MRE's picture

I have a semi-clear frisbee... thinking it needs LEDs!
Everything needs LEDs ;)
I figure I can measure rotation speed somehow.. either with a weighted flex sensor or with some sort of acellerometer.
Id really like the LEDs to give the illusion that it is NOT rotating (Thus a POV like effect).

This looks interesting! Easy-ish, expandable, and able to have multiple people working at once without too much effort.
Plus, as you say, everything needs LEDs.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Magnetic-Refrigerator-Lights/

Continuing from the MintyBoost workshop, I'd like to see how hard it is to make some cables to go with it. A really really short USB to mini-USB would be a great accessory, bonus points if it also fits in the tin.

A friend once made a laser-light show device by attaching a mirror to an old speaker and pointing a laser at it. It made nice patterns on the wall when we listened to Kraftwerk.

MRE
MRE's picture

Richard - Lots of good laser light show ideas.
One method involves 3 mirrors, each attached to the shaft of a motor on a slight angle.
When all three are arranged such that the laser path strikes all three, you will get great spirograph effects.

Laser light shows can get really complex, and really cool. If we can find some galvonemeters for a cheap price in Akihabara, we can make a true proper X-Y scanner which can draw complex shapes.

Galvonemeters are similar to the mechanism of an analog meter, utilizing a coil and spring to create deflection based on how much voltage is passing through the coil.

MRE
MRE's picture

Ahh.. here are some links.
I remember back when I had an Amiga, I wanted to build up a laser light show system! I also wanted to do midi and DMX(lighting protocol) work with it.

I wonder if ANYONE has an Amiga computer in Japan??
Anyway, the first link will give you a much more clear picture of how the X-Y system works, and why the audio port of ANY computer is the perfect choice (special software is needed)

http://www.laserfx.com/Backstage.LaserFX.com/Hobby/BudgetGraphics.html
http://www.laserfx.com/Backstage.LaserFX.com/Archives/Download2.html

Lots of ideas

Too much to follow up, even.

http://www.crazyengineers.com/forum/project-ideas-seminar-topics/

MRE or Akiba, can you recommend any resources for DIY home electronics repair? Seems like cable-making or broken VCR troubleshooting can't be *that* difficult, but I don't know where to start learning.
I don't want to join the "please send me teh codez" chorus, but I would appreciate some help.

MRE
MRE's picture

Yeah man, we can go on an Akihabara tour. It will open your eyes man!!

Also, I think we can wedge a min usb into the minty-boost, but... do you have a mini to mini cable?!?! does anyone make them? (ie, whats the point?)

As for making your own USB cables, I dont know of anyone who does *THAT*... just buy off the shelf. I have not seen usb cable ends, ready for wires, like you normally see with stereo and other AV equipment. Not to say that you cant find them, I just never came across them.

Interesting thing: I *DID* find ipod/iphone dock connectors and shells, ready for your own wires.

P.s. FANTASTIC LINK! its great reading when someone puts lots of time and effort into making a big list of cool ideas, and then some asshat grabs one and says "I need help with xxxx project, can anyone do it for me?!"

send me teh codez!!!

The point would be to have a usable USB-to-mini cable. All my devices have a mini-USB port, but the MintyBoost is a full USB and the shortest cable I've found has been 30cm. Mind you, I haven't been looking in many places.

So, off the shelf it is. Gotta search out the right shelf. :)

MRE
MRE's picture

and just to be a RTFM jerk:
VCR repair manuals
http://www.fixer.com/dbase/index.html

Excellent! Thanks!
Looked at the non-database part on their site, looks like it would be some help with the mechanical parts. What I really need to do is pick up a multimeter so I can diagnose the electrical.

MRE
MRE's picture

P.s.s. Look for Lazer light show kits for the web shop late spring oh-ten!!

(and, I have yet to hear what the official 'lingo' for counting years after 2009 (09) will be, so I decided on my own. its 0-10. as in 010, from 2010.)

MRE
MRE's picture

Decent meters can be had in the sub 2000 yen price range. Plan for it when we make our Akihabara trip, and you can grab one then.

Oi, and my brother will be here around new years, and we will for sure make a trip to Akihabara. You are welcome to come along.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Allowed HTML tags: <a> <em> <strong> <cite> <code> <ul> <ol> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

More information about formatting options

CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.

Tuesday (7:30 PM)
Open House Meeting
水曜日 (7:30 PM)
日本語 Meeting

« April 2017 »
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

twitter / TkoHackerSpace

Syndicate content